345: Chrystofer Davis - Documenting Local Lives Through The Lens Of A Film Photographer
February 09, 2023
Chrystofer Davis, is a documentary film street photographer in Newark New Jersey. His work has been shared in the Metropolitan Museum, the Schomburg, and the Newark Museum. Hes able to connect with his subjects quickly have them relax and then take a portrait of them. In this interview Chrystofer shares how he got started in photography at a young age. Through a memorable experience with his parents on a trip to Nassau, Chrystofer was given a Fujifilm disposable camera and taken a picture of a stairway that was perfectly composed with the sun shining through the windows. This visually striking moment motivated him to pursue photography professionally.
The Big Ideas:
- Capture meaningful memories on film.
- Film photography pushed career forward.
- Film for archival purposes.
- Print your photos for longevity.
- Impact one person at a time.
- Honor your cities culture and people.
- Connect with people through photography.
- Learn from rejection and move on.
- Build rapport with subjects.
- Find the camera that fits you.
- Care for people and your city.
- 00:09:01 Shoot with intention and passion.
- 00:16:04 Film photography for archival purposes.
- 00:22:45 Print photos for lasting memories.
- 00:25:53 Impact one person at a time.
- 00:30:07 Honor the past to build the future.
- 00:38:59 Connect with kindness and enthusiasm.
- 00:44:43 Be respectful and apologetic.
- 00:46:10 Build rapport before photographing.
- 00:56:57 Find a camera that fits you.
- 00:58:13 Document people's stories.
Connect with the Beginner Photography Podcast!
Thanks for listening & keep shooting!