342: Damien Lovegrove - Discover The Secrets Of Capturing Light: A Crash Course On Photographic Lighting
January 31, 2023
Damien Lovegrove, a BBC trained lighting expert and photographer, joins the Beginner Photography Podcast to talk about his experience with camera movements, lighting, and framing. He explains how he got interested in photography and how he captured stunning shots on film. Damien then shares his process for capturing light and shares how he learned about shutter speed and aperture. He also elaborates on the process of focusing, framing and understanding the controlling elements of exposure in order to create the best pictures.
The Big Ideas:
- Know your exposure elements.
- Learn photography slowly and carefully.
- Working with LED interior lighting
- Take control of light.
- Control light for effect.
- Lighting creates symmetry.
- Get the camera lower.
- Explore light to create style.
- Experiment with different light sources.
- 00:05:03 Plan and execute shots carefully.
- 00:07:07 Learn photography slowly and carefully.
- 00:18:46 Shoot at lower ISO settings.
- 00:25:19 Take control of light.
- 00:25:37 Control light for impact.
- 00:33:07 Lighting is key to success.
- 00:42:45 Get camera lower for better photos.
- 00:44:37 Explore light to create style.
- 00:50:13 Experiment with light sources.
Connect with the Beginner Photography Podcast!
Thanks for listening & keep shooting!