339: Brad McMillan - Long Journey through Photography: Overcoming Time Challenges
January 19, 2023
Today on the Beginner Photography podcast, Brad McMillan is being interviewed about his experience in photography, from having a portfolio of different genres of photos to his background of being a wildland firefighter for eight years and driving a tow truck for 12 years. He explains what first inspired him to take photos and remembers the trip he took in grade nine taking the 35mm point and shoot film camera his mom loaned him.
The Big Ideas:
- Don't jump handrails!
- Photography captures memories.
- Capture the memory, not perfection.
- Photography requires skill.
- Lighting must be practiced.
- Know your lighting direction.
- Use natural light for drama.
- Ask permission before photographing.
- Photography captures emotion effectively.
- Know your exposure balance.
- Learn to read histograms.
- 00:05:46 Don't jump the handrail.
- 00:06:27 Photography helps share memories.
- 00:17:09 Capture the memory, not perfect.
- 00:19:09 Learn to adjust settings quickly.
- 00:26:45 Practice and experiment with light.
- 00:30:04 Know your lighting and intention.
- 00:41:15 Use a monopod for lighting.
- 00:43:09 Ask permission before taking photos.
- 00:50:05 Invest in storytelling photography.
- 00:59:12 Settings don't matter.
- 01:02:10 Practice and experiment.
Transform your Love for Photography into Profit for FREE with CloudSpot Studio.
And get my Wedding and Portrait Contract and Questionnaires, at no cost!
Sign up now at http://deliverphotos.com/
Connect with the Beginner Photography Podcast!
Thanks for listening & keep shooting!